Second Thots

Sometimes one has to step back, take pause, and have some "second thots"

Thursday, February 15, 2007

 

Yes, I'm throwing eggs at Dion again. Surprise.


Rex Murphy makes the argument that Stéphane Dion would be better served by simply being himself as Liberal leader instead of following the orders of spinmeisters and image-makers.

While I agree that Dion has probably been too packaged coming out of the gate, I disagree that there's some underlying giant that's every bit as formidable a politician as Harper is. I'm not exactly sure where this image of Dion has come from, but it seems prevalent in some circles of the punditry. Simply put, I don't think there's as much there as Dion admirers pretend there is.

After all, this is a guy who became leader of the Liberal party by largely convincing himself and fellow members that he's some sort of champion of the environment. Ask yourself something: Would Harper have ever made such a gross error in judgement? Of course not.

From where I stand, I don't think Stéphane Dion is much more than an academic who surprised people in ministerial portfolios that were dormant for much of the time he handled them. I suppose many members of the press find this history admirable. Yet it's hardly the stuff that prime ministers are made of, is it?




<< Home











This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?