Second Thots

Sometimes one has to step back, take pause, and have some "second thots"

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

Will Senate reform ever see the light of day?


The thing about Harper's legislation to democratize the Senate is that I just don't see how it will ever pass the Senate, so I don't see how we ever get actual Senate reform. It might not even pass the House, at least not with its current composition of seats.

Of course, the kind of mandate Harper receives if he wins the next election might determine the extent to which the Senate would be forced to pass some kind of bill. Yet, there are so many arguments floating out there about why this is such a bad idea, I can see this being bogged down in Parliament before it ever sees the light of day.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope democracy prevails. Yet, unless there's some groundswell of support for this from the Canadian people, I'm not sure if anything is every going to change in the upper chamber.




<< Home











This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?