Second Thots

Sometimes one has to step back, take pause, and have some "second thots"

Monday, August 13, 2007

 

Christianity is not Islam


I don't know about everything that Robert Spencer has to say about Islam. However, I agree with two things he has to say in this clip.

The first is that people should stand up to intimidation from Muslims. In Christian societies, we believe in the right to differ. We should be allowed to criticize and even mock Islam if that's what we believe.

The second thing might be more relevant, given some current criticisms of God and religion. That is, let Islam speak for itself; let Christianity speak for itself. I don't know why Christian-bashers continually cite Islam to attack Christianity. But they do.

In case they don't know it, one of Islam's main raisons d'etre is to essentially say that Jews and Christians have gotten God's message wrong for thousands of years, and that Muslims have it right; that Muslims know God better. I happen to think think Muslims have it wrong, and a whole lot wrong in some fundamental areas, but that's a different matter. I just hope I'm allowed to say it without someone issuing a fatwa against me.

I'm a Christian. Let me defend Christianity. I'll let Muslims defend Islam, thank you very much.

This is why I think people like Robert Spencer are important. He might not be perfect, but I guess that's part of the point. He should be allowed to be imperfect, and voice his opinions on Muslims without being vilified or intimidated into silence. Plus, along the way, he provides us with some insight and even wisdom that we don't get enough of these days. Amen.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home











This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?