Second Thots

Sometimes one has to step back, take pause, and have some "second thots"

Thursday, January 03, 2008

 

US presidential thoughts


The Iowa caucuses take place today. It's the official start of the presidential race for both parties.

To that end, I thought I'd make a couple of points regarding my current thoughts on the race.

First, this guy pretty much sums up why I'd support Rudy if I was American.

Second, I notice that Rush Limbaugh is running anti-John McCain ads on his Internet broadcast. I guess we know who he's not supporting.

And while we're on the topic of Rush Limbaugh, he's again emphasizing the need to support ideological conservatives. In fact, he seems to be making the exact opposite argument of the one I linked to and endorsed above.

I suppose that my response to Rush would be that Ronald Reagans don't come along every time out. In fact, I don't have any faith that any of the GOP candidates running as ideological conservatives would continue being ideological conservatives if they ever became president.

For that matter, George W. Bush had trouble remaining an ideological conservative as president, and Rush Limbaugh has reminded us of that fact at every opportunity.

So, given all that, my preference is to like the guy who's the best leader and can win — and can keep liberals out of power. That guy is Rudy.

Do I agree with him on all the issues? No. Do I fear that he will betray some conservative principles if he gets elected president? Yes.

But that doesn't mean he's not the best guy for the job. Even if he's not the best conservative, he's still the best guy to advance the interests of the party that still represents conservatism.

That's the way I look at it. That's what I think politics is about. That's what I think would be good for Americans going forward, even if I'm not American.

Labels:



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home











This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?