Second Thots

Sometimes one has to step back, take pause, and have some "second thots"

Sunday, May 23, 2010

 

No public inquiry needed


Before anyone starts the public inquiries into Canada's disappointing showing at this year's Hockey World Championships, they should take a look at the teams that Canada lost to in the process. Hint: They finished 1-2-3 in the tournament.

While I'm on the topic, I suppose I won't be the only one to notice what a disappointing year it's been for Russian hockey. Disaster at the Vancouver Olympics, and now runner-up at a World Tournament in which they were clearly gunning for gold. Would Alexander Ovechkin have shown up for anything less?

One other thought. I also suppose that I won't be the only one to ask if it's a good idea to hold this kind of World Championships during an Olympic year. I took a look at the United States roster early in the tournament, and wondered when Christian Hanson became an international hockey star. Clearly, asking NHL players to lace up for all these extra games in one year is a bit much, but I don't expect them to change the format any time soon.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home











This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?