Second Thots

Sometimes one has to step back, take pause, and have some "second thots"

Friday, July 30, 2010

 

Obama's apperance on The View


I have to say, I'm not as disturbed at the thought of a sitting president of the United States making an appearance on the TV show The View as others seem to be. Could it be yet another example of our culture spiraling into depravity? Maybe. But let's just assume that that's the current reality of things, and that people generally lower the bar all the time. Put in that context, what Obama did I don't find that egregious. In fact, let's not put it in that context. In any place or time, I don't find it that bizarre that a president would want to sit down and have a reasonable conversation with some people and their audience. End of the civilized world as we know it? I doubt it.

However, the grounds on which I might criticize Obama's appearance is that he's doing it now — at a time when one could argue that there are a lot of important things going on during his presidency, including a failing economy, a possibly failing (Afghanistan) war, and a failing effort to clean up a catastrophic oil spill and environmental disaster.

In other words, I don't think it's beneath a president to make an appearance on The View. I'm just wondering why he thinks he has the luxury of doing so at this point in history. That's all.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home











This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?